We currently have an opportunity available for a Senior Underwriter to join our Management Liability Team in our Alpharetta, GA office. Reporting directly to the South Regional Manager, you will underwrite a portfolio of new and renewal business for Private Company accounts for Management Liability, which includes D&O, Employment Practices, Fiduciary Liability, Crime and Employed Lawyers. This position will underwrite and support business accounts within the Southern Region.
Responsibilities: 1. Manages a profitable book of business by evaluating results and conducting portfolio reviews for assigned territory and individual producers. Develops integrated pictures of factors that affect profitability, growth, retention and recommends, implements, and monitors necessary action plans.
2. Has underwriting responsibility for a book of new and renewal business. Examines, identifies, and evaluates exposures by analyzing documentation from various sources, such as the insurance application, internet searches, inspection reports, credit reports, etc. Makes underwriting decisions to accept, decline, or modify risks within assigned underwriting authority level in partnership with underwriting team.
3. Executes underwriting strategy as determined by management, including portfolio management and self-audits. Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws and company guidelines.
4. Develops superior working relationships with producers to successfully promote achievement of mutual operating goals (growth, retention, and profitability) and to supply the appropriate products and services. Determines and executes strategy for account management and agency planning. Works closely with other OneBeacon departments, including claims, actuary and risk control staff in an effort to better service producers and accounts.
5. Gathers and analyzes competitor and producer information including producers’ retention, profitability and potential, in support of pricing and appetite. Works with other underwriting staff to determine and make recommendations for marketing, pricing, products and systems.
6. Collaborates with team members to manage work inventories and all production activities to provide accurate and timely service in accordance with business unit standards. Processes underwriting decisions. Documents files and reports via automated desktop systems and tools.
7. Regularly travels to key producers/accounts and remains a visible presence in the marketplace. Monitors agency action plans and participates in account management, agency planning and marketing meetings to best position the business for the future. May participate in industry events and/or committees.
8. Provides training and mentoring to less experienced underwriters and/or underwriting assistants. Stays abreast of industry, territory and insurance trends.
Requirements: Possesses demonstrated technical knowledge and skills, including insurance products and industry. Must be able to identify and describe the major perils insured under policies. Must be able to independently identify and describe the exposures and hazards to consider in making an underwriting decision. Must know how to effectively obtain information needed to make an underwriting decision. Must have proven analytical, decision making, problem-solving, communication, presentation, listening and organizational skills. Must be able to work both independently and as a highly collaborative member of a team. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite as well as electronic underwriting systems. Must be able to work in a fast pace and rapidly changing environment.
Education and Experience: The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of management liability underwriting experience. Someone who is interested in insurance certifications and designations is strongly preferred (e.g., RPLU).
OneBeacon Insurance Group focuses on the unique risks faced by certain industry groups that we believe would benefit from specialized expertise, tailored products and an intense commitment to service. At OneBeacon, we believe that specialized expertise matters. Through our underwriting companies, we offer a broad range of specialty insurance products and services sold through independent agencies,... regional and national brokers, wholesalers and managing general agencies. Each OneBeacon business is managed by an experienced team of specialty insurance professionals focused on a specific customer group or industry segment they know well.